Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My Big Mouth

Have you ever left an interaction knowing you have said too much?

This morning I got into the elevator with my uber-boss. He held the door for me as I was trying to slink in without him noticing. I was late again. He said

“How are you doing?”

“Fine, just moving a little slow this morning.” I said. And that is where it should have ended. But no, I had to keep talking.

“I’ve got a teething 8 month old and a sick pet at home. It makes things a little more interesting in the mornings.” I continued.

“Oh, I would rather have the eight month old. What pet is sick?” He asked, looking very concerned.

“I have a ferret. Actually she is dying. I think she has cancer.” He looked horrified.

“I am SO sorry,” he practically cried. “Is there anything you can do?”

“I am just trying to make her comfortable. But it is pretty normal for ferrets to get cancer; I have had four others who have…”

At this point the elevator door opened and I stepped out. He was to continue to the next floor.

“died. Have a great day!” I waved cheerfully as the elevator doors closed, concealing his mingled looks of horror, concern and confusion. I should have shut up at “Fine.”

5 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Wonderful. Wonderful story, and wonderfully writ. Thanks.

qemuel said...

Dammit, Cavin beat me to the punch! Excellent story!

Bronwen said...

Thanks guys! And it really happened. I am such a loser sometimes!

Alice C. Linsley said...

Ellie, I think that conversation shoule earn you a raise or a promotion, or both. At the very least, you should consider comedy script writing. Hilarious!

Also, in Bronwen's latest bath video, she looks like you at the age! Really.

Bronwen said...

Cool! I knew I was her mommy!