Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Bronwen Discovers the Moon

Yesterday Bronwen discovered the moon. I was unbuckling her car seat and fussing about her dirty face when she looked up into the sky pointed and said, "wooaawa!" which I took to mean, "wow!"

My eyes traced her out-stretched arm up into the sky and there, right above the tree at the edge of the daycare parking lot was a mostly full moon, bright in the morning sun.

"That's the moon," I told her, "Moooon, can you say moon?"

"Toi daa ma bla blaa moo wooawa, " she replied, which I took to mean, "I've never seen that before and it is really cool."

"Yes, it is cool," I said, "Moooon, can you say moon?"

Bronwen wasn't interested in trying to say moon, but as I carried her into the building she craned her neck to try to keep sight of this new discovery.

It was then that I thought about the time when I must have first discovered the moon. How amazing it must have been to look up in and see it, white and mottled, resting in the sky like a banana slice floating in blue raspberry jello.

3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Oh. That's how I feel about the moon, too. That's my favorite Bronwen story yet.

Alice C. Linsley said...

Ellie, She is true woman! Now teach her to observe the phases of the moon.

(Today I posted an essay at Just Genesis that indirectly refers to the moon mother.)

Alice C. Linsley said...

I miss you and can't wait to see that precious baby moon-tracker!