Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Honeymoon is Over!

I have decided that instead of writing down a moment by moment breakdown of the honeymoon and everything we did, which would frankly be boring to read, I will write down my impressions of things that happened, little anecdotes and sketches and hopefully at the end of it all (and paired with our pictures on flickr) you will have a pretty good idea of why it was THE GREATEST HONEYMOON EVER!

Our first stop on the fantastic honeymoon tour was jolly ole England. We spent three whole days with family, hanging out, eating, chatting and especially drinking. On Saturday night, the night before Dan and I were going to leave for Crete, Max and Leslie organized a special dinner for the family at a lovely little Italian place in Ewell. For fear of taking over the place, and for fear of the shear amount of noise this family makes (which is so familiar!), we were put upstairs in a tiny little room that looked down over the main street.


We had already picked out our appetizers and main dishes the week before, so we all promptly sat down to drinking copious bottles of wine, eating bread, olives, and gulping down the delicious food. The dinner was wonderful. I had rack of lamb and Dan had some sort of delicious chicken dish. Bronwen, of course, ate a little bit of everything.

As the rugby world cup was starting at the tail end of the dinner, Max gave a toast and then Leslie, welcoming me to the family and expressing happiness for our future. Then the cabs arrived and whisked most of the men, and women who were interested, back to the house to watch the game. (It was England vs South Africa and England was expected to lose, which they did. But it was still fun!) The rest of us sat at the restaurant waiting for the next cab to arrive, and we drank amaretto and ate almond cookies and gossiped about the family. It was wonderful.

After the game was over, we all gathered in the dining room for cake and champagne and more toasts from Dan and I. It was then that the party really started. The alcohol was flowing and the volume level shot up significantly. "I love this family," I thought, "they are just as loud as mine and just as fun!"

We hung out drinking and chatting and laughing at me as I tried to pronounce strange English town names ("woochester" sounds good to me!), then finally decided to go to bed.

Needless to say, I was a little worse for wear the next morning and made a complete ass of myself throwing up in the Todd's front yard on our way to the airport. But as good families do, they made no big deal of it, and as we boarded the plane to Crete I thought about how lucky I am that I get to extend my family and become part of the wonderful, intelligent, caring and fun Todd Family Tree.

2 comments:

Alice C. Linsley said...

I thought I taught you how to hold your liquor (beer, wine). Oh! I forgot to teach you not to mix them. Ooops.

Bronwen said...

Yeah, oops is right! I blame it on the high alcohol content of English beer.