Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Return to Lafayette, LA

The last time I was in Lafayette, Louisiana, I was working for Krispy Kreme. I came down here to help train and open a brand new store. It was located in the front parking lot of Wallmart. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be a very successful store. It was nearly impossible to get into the parking lot, and the average Lafayattian was already buying doughnuts in the grocery store.

The last time I was here, the owner of the franchise took us to an incredible restaurant where I ate about 14 pounds of crayfish, and where I purchase a t-shirt to commemorate the event! We took a fan boat through the bayou and saw crocodiles, birds, and those incredible cypress trees. We travelled to the Tabasco Factory, and spent time on Avery Island, watching crocodiles walking around the park.

The last time I was here, I was wasn't married, I wasn't a mother, and I was not in my thirties!

Today, when I landed in the tiny regional airport (the airport smelled funny, was kind of dirty, and it took FOREVER to get our luggage) I was struck by how familiar the place was. I have only been here once, and it was probably five years ago. I remembered the Avis parking lot, the exit to the airport and the road to town.

I checked into the hotel and decided to find some place to eat. Since it was Sunday, all the good cajun, po-boy places were closed. I found an Outback, pulled into the parking lot and realized, that I had eaten in this same restaurant five years ago. Not only that, across the street was the hotel I stayed in for a week last time I was here. I guess Lafayette is pretty small town.

Tomorrow and Tuesday, Orientation, then Wednesday morning I go back home. Hopefully, the Thanksgiving travel won't be too heavy and I should be home by 5pm.

1 comment:

Alice C. Linsley said...

Yeap! Nothing much changes in the smaller Louisiana towns.

Saw the photos of the girls in their Halloween costumes. Too cute! The pumpkin has grown.