Monday, December 10, 2007

Baby Shower Fun

Baby showers are really fun. I love getting together with a bunch of people to celebrate the inevitable arrival of a new human being. Toune and Alex’s baby shower was by far the best baby party I have been to, ever!

First of all, nothing can beat a party where the food is traditional Thai/Laos food, prepared lovingly by Thai/Laos people. We ate the best chicken pad Thai, spring rolls, ham salad, and the spiciest papaya salad I have ever eaten. I also had the pleasure of eating a strange pickled meat dish, which turned out to be tripe, and I ate this amazingly strange traditional Laotian meat dish which was sliced beef in a bitter, lemon grass sauce. It was unlike anything I have ever eaten and it turned out that the sauce was made of beef bile. I didn’t go back for seconds, but it was tasty.

The people were wonderful and friendly and I had a chance to catch up with some folks who, the last time I spoke with them was at Toune and Alex’s wedding reception. Vinee organized a great party; we played all the silly shower games (while the men played Texas Hold’em and drank brandy on the back porch) and Toune and Alex opened a million presents!

We left there thoroughly stuffed and happy. I am looking forward to the birth of their child. I think they are going to enjoy being parents (Alex was having a ball with Bronwen!) and I can’t wait to meet the little human that is part Alex and part Toune.

No comments: