Thursday, January 3, 2008

Cooking to Stay Warm

For our New Year’s Eve celebration, I made a smoked salmon and goat cheese tart. It was absolutely delicious, although it was a bit salty. I think that might have been because I made the crust with salted butter instead of unsalted, but it was still delicious. I reheated some last night again, as a snack, and was happily surprised to find it was even better a few days later.

I have been cooking a lot, like I do when the winter is upon us. It was 19 degrees this morning when we left the house, and when it is cold outside, I have to stay in the kitchen, with the crock pot out and food cooking away.

After Christmas, I had to use up the Turkey and I made a delicious turkey curry. It was spicy and coconut milky; yum. For New Year’s lunch, I made a huge pork roast cooked in hard cider, with garlic and onions. It was sweet and tender and fell apart when you cut into it. Yesterday I ate leftover pork shredded in a burrito with cheese and sirracha sauce. I still have some much pork left, I really don’t know what to do with it and I don’t want it to go bad. Can you freeze cooked shredded pork?

And then last night I made chili and it turned out really well. I have to make my chili un-spicy so the children can eat it, which, truthfully, is mildly depressing, as I love HOT chili. But I can still spice up my own bowl.

I think meatloaf, shrimp curry, maybe a baked chicken are on the way; anything warm to keep us going during the long winter nights.

1 comment:

Alice C. Linsley said...

The pork will freeze. However, you may want to cook it with some cabbage, sliced white onion and caraway seed. When the cabbage is tender, pour V8 juice over the top (2 to 3 cups) and simmer for 12 minutes. This is delicious!