Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dancing Toys

I have never been able to figure out why people actually buy those funny little dancing holiday toys. Like the dancing Santa that bops away to “Stayin Alive” or the Chipmunks that dance and sing Traditional Chipmuck Christmas songs. They seem like such a waste of money. But today I figured out the perfect market for these toys, children daycare facilities. At Bronwen’s daycare there are about seven different dancing and singing toys at the front door for all holidays. There were a few turkeys that gobbled and discoed for Thanksgiving. Halloween was great with dancing ghosts that moved across the floor. But Christmas has been the best so far for singing and dancing toys. This morning as I was leaving the building a small child was giggling away at the “Exercise Santa.” This prone Santa, when activated my a small red button on the front, does crunches in time with the techno music emanating from the side of the toy. It is actually hilarious. I am glad that the days of Billy the Big Mouth Bass are gone (my dad had one!). I really can’t figure out why anyone would buy something like that, unless it was a gift for someone you don’t like. But having these toys at the daycare are great. I have seen five kids gathered around a dancing turkey, dancing their little hearts out, over and over, until their parents drag them out of the building.

No comments: