Monday, April 13, 2009

Urban Chickens

So the chickens have kind of become an obsession. I find myself thinking about, talking about, or planning for the chickens pretty much everyday. I think I am starting to get burned out.

We finished building the chicken run this weekend and as of this very moment we are ready for chickens to inhabit the home we have created. There are a few more security measures that we need to take care of as I have seen foxes in the neighborhood and friends more familiar with chicken rearing have suggested some upgrades, like a secure coop door for nights.

The Todd Coop

I am looking forward to finally getting our little chicks and seeing what this chicken world is all about. I have read so much about the Urban Chicken movement; I am wondering if it really is all it’s cracked up to be.

7 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Wow. This comes as quite a surprise.

Bronwen said...

Sorry mr C. I guess I have been communicating my obsession via facebook and forgot to tell my loyal blog readers (namely you) about the chickens. You will have to meet them when you come home from overseas.

Alice C. Linsley said...

Dump facebook!

Keep up the blogs...

Anonymous said...

i completely concur with your mama!

Kim O said...

The food-loving side of me is very excited about this project, but the bird-fearing side is freaking out. I can't wait to read more.

Bronwen said...

I feel the same way. I have always been a little scared of Chickens, with their scaly dinosaur feet and their pecky sharp beaks; but the fresh hens eggs have been calling to me. Also, little chicks are less scary, so I figure if I start small, it shouldn't be so freaky.

Mr. Cavin said...

See, and I keep trying to decide if I am going to make any comment. I don't want to seem like a sourpuss, you know? And I really do hope this works out for you. Somehow.