Friday, May 1, 2009

Bestway to Beers

There is a crappy little local grocery store about a mile down the road from us called Bestway. I have been shopping there for years on account of its being right across the street from the laundromat where I used to go to wash my clothes. Recently Bestway was bought out by a private investor who has taken great steps to improve and update the place. The very first thing he did, and I think this is brilliant, was remove the wall of produce racks that were, in the past, half empty with substandard fruits and vegetables. In its place, and stretching from one wall of the store to the other, is a beautiful, gleaming new beer and wine case. In this case they have put more different types of beer than I have ever seen in one place every. It boggles the mind.

The last few times I have been in there (and I have been going there with an increased frequency) I have stood slack jawed in front of the case for long minutes just appreciating the view.

The last time I was there I decided that each shopping trip must consist of the purchase of a new beer, never before tried inour household. Here are the first three new beers and some notes regarding their taste, bottle, and overall experience.


Lucky Buddha




Obviously, it was the bottle that forced me to pick this beer first in our quest to try them all. It is from china. It is a very light lager, akin to Heineken, but with less bitterness and body. Not a beer I would drink for the flavor, but I loved holding that fat Buddha bottle. I will have to get it again as I gave the first bottle to Chris and I need to have one of my own.





Hitachino Nest Beer, XH




This beer has an owl on the label, so it had to be drunk. Also, the opportunity to try beer that has been kept in sake casks could not be passed. I didn’t really like it. It was a little too sweet and had a strange aftertaste that I am still struggling to define, like soap, or cleaning chemicals; weird, but worth a taste. Plus, now I have the cutest owl bottle cap for my collection.






Ridgeway Bitter



This beer is a happy surprise. I am not usually a huge fan of bitters, but this beer is wonderful. It is medium bodied, smooth and flavorful, (or should I say flavourful?) It is slightly sweeter than bitters I have had in the past, but it is certainly not too sweet; absolutely delicious.




3 comments:

henryroland said...

How did I miss the Hitachino?

Mr. Cavin said...

They have this? It's my new thing right now.

Bronwen said...

Cavin,
I will look the next time I go.