Monday, March 19, 2007

Florida, Pt. 2? Orlando Airport

Back in Florida. This time I am in Orlando. I was on the fence about Orlando until tonight. Disney and Universal Studios are great, but the traffic stinks and the whole city is a strip mall. But it wasn’t until I was driving my minivan (yes, I have a minivan rental car) around town trying to find my way to the hotel that I realize the whole place is like another country. I looked around and half of what I saw was completely unfamiliar.

You know when you go to foreign country and you pass by a store and you have no idea whether it is a grocery store, a bank or something else? That’s what it is like here now. Maybe this is new because I don’t remember feeling so out of place the last time I was in Orlando. But it is strange. And not fun strange, uncomfortable and annoying strange.

The airport was insane. Lots of families with kids heading to Disney World. It made me think about Bronwen as a 5 year old getting excited about meeting Mickey and riding the roller coasters. It isn’t that far away!

It was impossibly hard to find the rental cars and I was extremely frustrated by the time I finally made it there. An hour later I was at the hotel.

No comments: