Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My snoring problem

I have become extremely self conscious about my snoring. Actually, let’s clarify that statement. I have become extremely self conscious about my snoring, but not enough to keep me from falling asleep (and snoring) in all sorts of public places.

A couple of years ago I was flying home from Seattle. I had been working for Krispy Kreme in Seattle for about four days and I was lucky enough to have scored first class seats on the way back. I must preface the story that I was very ill. I had been laid up in the hotel for a whole two days with the flu. On the flight home I slept the whole way from Seattle to Charlotte. When I got up out of my seat to disembark the plane the man sitting in front of me stood up, turned to face me and said, “Man, lady, you sure were sawing logs!” I was so shocked, and sick, that I just smiled meekly and left the plane. I think that was the first time I started to be self conscious about this problem.

At my present job, when we travel we are required to have roommates. The way that I started to deal with my self consciousness has been to talk about it obsessively all the time with my roommate. I guess I am looking for them to say something like, “Oh Ellie, you don’t snore at all. I slept perfectly all night!” but it never happens that way. I say something like, “I just have to warn you, I snore a lot! I hope you are not a light sleeper.” To which they always respond, “Oh, I am sure it will be fine.” Then in the morning I say, “Did I keep you up too much?” and they always answer, exhausted, “No, it was fine…” as they drag their ass to the shower.

No comments: