Thursday, May 24, 2007

If you would like to see the city or town you live in in a totally different, new, and exciting way, take a bike ride. Yesterday I hopped onto my bike, for what I thought was going to be a brief ride around town but that turned into six and half mile study in pain. I set out from my house, the usual way, across Spring Garden into lovely Lindley Park. I cut across the middle of the park and continued down Lindell. At the intersection of Lindell and Walker, there are two ways I usually go, straight continuing along Lindell towards Matt’s house, or left along Walker over the bridge over Wendover. This time I went left, as it takes you across to the other part of Lindley Park.

The evening was lovely and everyone was out with their kids, dogs, wives, boyfriends; the trail was full of people. Normally I cycle around the park, but this time I headed off in a different direction right out of the park onto Green Valley road. Here is where I discovered that Greensboro looks very different from a bike. Did you know that there is a small river and run-off tunnel right at the corner of Green Valley and Friendly. I didn’t! And it is really beautiful.

I cut across friendly and hit the greenway right there under the bridge where Wendover crosses Friendly. The Lake Daniel Greenway is a two mile trail that follows Green Valley, then turns sharply and shadows Benjamin Pkwy down across Elam, and then under Aycock and dumps you out over in that cute little park by Tremont and Mimosa.

By the time I got to the park, I was ready to go home. Another thing you discover when biking Greensboro, it is not a flat town. Every turn you make has you taking another brutal hill. I tried to plan my trip home with the least amount of hills, but failed miserably and by the time I got home, was red-faced and exhausted.

2 comments:

qemuel said...

"six and half mile study in pain"

Been there, lemme tell ya. I've been thinking about investing in a bike myself, so maybe I'll try a variation on your route.

Alice C. Linsley said...

It should get easier each week! Hang in there.