Friday, May 11, 2007

Little Rock, Arkansas

I just got back from Little Rock Arkansas yesterday afternoon. What a beautiful place. It completely exceeded my expectations. Granted my expectations were very low. I was thinking it might resemble someplace like Dayton Ohio. But Little Rock is right there in the Ozarks. The city sits is a valley surrounded by lush green mountains and bisected by a wide, slow moving river.

The airport was the first sign that the people of this town really care about it. It actually reminded me of the Sydney Airport. Very accessible and color coded. The baggage claim was clean and it took no time to get our bags. The rental car desk was easy to find and I was in my car and loaded up with baggage only ten minutes after deplaning.

When driving in Little Rock one must navigate by a series of raised highway ramps that duck over and under and around each other through the hills and across the lakes and river. At one point I was pretty sure I was riding along a roadway that had been designed by the great rollercoaster designers. It was awesome. The best part was on the way back to the airport on Thursday when I took a ramp that curved 200 degrees around a hill and sloped down across a beautiful misty lake. The ramp is a single lane wide and as the road sloped down towards the water, all other roads, buildings and signs of people disappeared and only the trees and lake were visible. Beautiful.

The first night in town we all met up at a bar and grill. It was happy hour from 5-6pm so we commenced drinking. After a few, I challenged my co-workers to a little game of pool. I was a little intoxicated; I had had a few beers on an empty stomach (which actually means I had six beers on a half a quesadilla.) Anyway, I think I embarrassed the guys who thought they were going to beat me. Yeah, I won 3 out of four games. Ha! I still have it, even after having a baby.

The guys left and my coworker and I finished our beers and went back to the hotel. I only had a little headache the next morning.

My whole time there was really fun, but I was happy to return home yesterday. Bronwen has grown two more teeth and has decided to be a little human now, not a baby, and she is eating pasta, and chicken and even chocolate chip cookies! Maybe next time I’ll take her along so she can ride the rollercoaster highways of Little Rock, Arkansas.

1 comment:

Alice C. Linsley said...

A very interesting description. Makes me want to visit Little Rock one day. My Aunt Ellen and Uncle Gordon lived there for about 8 years and thought it was lovely also.