Thursday, June 7, 2007

Bonnaroo: Take One

This past Monday I was in a tizzy. We had gotten home from Louisiana at 1:30am in the morning (see that story below) and the house was a mess and we had two days to get everything ready to go to Bonnaroo. We had to shop for camping supplies, get someone to watch the cats, shop for booze, shop for food, get a list from Kym and Jared about what they wanted us to pick up for them as they were flying in, get the baby ready and packed, clean the house, and somewhere in there go to work, get and oil change and find some time to have Piper over. For anyone who knows me well knows that this sort of challenge brings out the stressed, out yet totally anally organize freak side of Ellie. First things first, make a file and label it Bonnaroo. Then start filling the file: tickets, day by day break down of tasks, shopping lists divided by store, lists printed from the web site, hand written notes of last minute things I remember on the drive home, hour by hour schedule of the day we leave ensuring that all things are packed and ready, packing lists divided by person, it goes on and on.

So Monday afternoon, I was in a tizzy. I had my file but I was having a really hard time getting in touch with Kym. I had read some backlog emails saying she was in NY for a wedding, but didn’t she have her cell phone? Didn’t she have one minute to call me back? I mean we have two days to go!? Finally, on the drive to daycare on Monday afternoon, she answered the phone.

“Kym, hey sorry to bother you, but we don’t have that much time and I won’t keep you long, but how much do you guys want to spend on the food?”

“Well, I was planning on calling you when I got back home on Tuesday, but we can talk now” she said happily but with a hint of bewilderment, “when are you planning on shopping, tonight?”

“Yeah, I want to get everything together tonight so that tomorrow we only have to pack and then we can leave straight after work on Wednesday. I think we will drive to Knoxville on Wednesday night and then drive to Manchester on Thursday morning so we can get to the camp site early.”

“But the festival is not this week, it’s next week.”

“What?”

“It’s next week,” Kym started laughing hysterically, “I thought you we an organized person and really on top of things and that you just wanted to get the shopping done early, I was wondering why you kept calling me, freaking out. You have a whole other week, silly!”

“I am such an idiot…”

So, now I am not in such a tizzy anymore. I still have all the lists, which should be especially helpful in getting everything done on time and done right, but now I just have another week to do it. And deep down in my heart I know, I really would have driven to Tennessee last night if no one had said anything.

3 comments:

Bronwen said...

Okay, here is the story. We left my sister's house with exactly enough time to get to the airport, drop off the car, check in and board. As we got into the car I told Connie, "I know exactly how to get to the airport," turned out of her driveway and took the first right, which should have been a left. By the time we realized it (the road ended so it was clear we had gone the wrong way) we had just enough time, without any more mishaps, to make it. We did make it in time to check in and get through security (Monroe Airport has three gates so you have to sit in the "lobby" of the airport until they call your flight to board. I think the airport was smaller that the Fargo Airport and that is saying something.)
Anyway, it was then that we found out the flight had been overbooked by 11 people. If no one volunteered they were going to pick people and since we had checked in last we went ahead and volunteered. It only got us home one hour later, oh, and we each got $400 flight credits and $20 dinner vouchers for the Atlanta Airport. What should Dan and I do with $800 Delta credit? Ah, the possibilities...

Mr. Cavin said...

First things first, make a file and label it Bonnaroo.

This is when I started giggling. I'll let you know when I stop.

Bronwen said...

I can't help myself Mr. Cavin!