Friday, February 1, 2008

Beauty Pageant Madness


Last Saturday night Bronwen and I went to a Miss America Pageant Party. My friend Lauren is a fiend when it comes to the Miss America Pageant, and this was the 8th year in a row that she has thrown this party.

Now, as many may know, Sunshine knows more about the Miss Universe Pageant than is natural and I was looking forward to dressing up like a pageant contestant and going to this party. I was also looking forward to introducing more people to the Beauty Pageant Drinking Game (my very favorite of all TV drinking games).

I really wanted to wear the dress that I wore to my 8th grade dance. It is salmon colored, with a diagonal ruffled hemline, ruched body with drop waist, and a huge salmon colored flower pinned on the corner. As I had not worn it in 18 years, I wasn’t sure it was going to fit. Sure enough, my hips barely squished down into it, and the top didn’t even come close to zippering shut.

Instead, I pulled out my wedding underwear and my favorite bridesmaid outfit, from Kym and Jared’s beautiful wedding, dressed Bronwen in her flower girl outfit, grabbed my blender and a bottle of Stoli and drove to Lauren’s apartment. It just so happens that Lauren lives in Friendly Hills (Aimee and I lived there many times and I have many funny stories.)

Her kitchen table was filled with delicious food, spinach dip, fried chicken bites, stuffed mushrooms, coconut cupcakes and brownies, BLT stuffed tomatoes, and tortilla spirals of love. Delicious!

Weeks before the party we had each voted for the contestant that we thought would win, and we voted for the contestants that we thought would make it to the top five. Lauren had prizes for person who got the most right. We watched and drank and it turns out that most of our contestants were nixed. I only had one contestant left in the top five, Go North Carolina!

No comments: