Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tagged, I'm It

Since I have been tagged by my friend Phil to answer a few questions, I guess I have to do that. I have never heard of this so called Blog Tagging until Sunshine “tagged” me on her book review blog. And now this! Ya’ll are making me work.

Okay Phil, here it is:

What am I reading at the moment?
Sunshine recommended this book last year; I went out and bought it, last year, and am only now starting to read it. It is called I Didn’t Do it For You: How the World Betrayed a Small African Nation, by Michela Wrong. Michela is an English journalist whose has traveled extensively through Africa, but is drawn into the history and tragedy of the people of Eritrea. She tries to understand the people by delving into their successive colonization by Italy, Russia, US and history of war with Ethiopia and fight for independence. I am not far into it, but know that I must go visit Eritrea some day, if for no other reason than to visit Asmara, the capital city on the top of a mountain.

Last night I read Fray, by Joss Whedon. Most of the comic book/Buffy dorks I love have read this already, and now I know why. The art is amazing, the character Melaka Fray is powerful, genuine and beautiful and young, and the bad guys are really bad. Of course, the Buffy mythology is carried through beautifully, with a delicious twin twist and I couldn’t put it down. I loved it!

What am I listening to at the moment?
Okay, there is what I am listening to, and what I want to be listening to, and unfortunately, they are not the same. I really want to be listening to REM because I am feeling melancholy, sentimental and Michael Stipe will satisfy that need. But I haven’t made the effort to climb upstairs, sort through the CDs and all that. Also, I want to be listening to the new Tori Amos CD I bought, but the only time I listen to music these days is in the car and at the gym and I keep leaving the CD at my house.

So what I am listening to is an old mix that Ethan made for us a few Christmases past. It is a well designed mix, balanced with old and new and annoying and great songs. Dido, White Stripes, some unknown country music, blues, The Streets, great driving music.

And what I really listen to 99% of the time is NPR. It’s like crack. I just can’t stop.

What am I watching at the moment?
Muppets, season 2
Lost, season 3 (just finished).
Scrubs, season 6
Anthony Bourdain, No Reservations
Waiting for Guffman (Dan and I watched this again the other night and it was wonderful!)

Tonight I want to watch, in memory of Heath Ledger, A Knight’s Tale, which is the way that I like to remember him. I love that movie.

I know, something is wrong with me.




5 comments:

Lauren said...

That African book sounds interesting, but do you think anyone take an author named "Wrong" seriously?

miss krissy said...

Yay Guffman! I'm not sure if you will see this or not, but I listened to some of your songs and they were wonderful, although they made me wish we could hang out and sing together. I seem to just sing alone in my car anymore. I miss you!

Alice C. Linsley said...

Ellie, Why am I unable to see Bronwen's belly picture?

Aaron Rester said...

I prefer to remember ol' Heath as the dashing Irish prince in Roar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roar_(television_series)) -- remember when I used that show in my ExCo class on Celtic mythology?

henryroland said...

are you readying Bronwen for Girls Gone Wild?