Wednesday, February 27, 2008

“…Brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things!”

Phil has inspired me with his lists. I was going to go super specific with a list like my top ten favorite cheeses, but then, as the song “Favorite Things” from the Sound of Music began to pulse through my brain, I decided to go general. So here is a list of my top ten favorite things (in no particular order).


1. Reading science articles
Everyday I read at least three science articles. I need to know that people are working hard to try to understand the universe, human body, environment, etc and not just sitting in a cube all day working to make sure that the owner of the company will get to keep his seven houses. It gives me perspective. Plus, it’s cool. I read about extinct giant toads, galaxies without dark matter, and the science of sleep. There is so much out there to learn about.
2. Listening to NPR
See blog entry. Again, it’s like crack.
3. Eating
Consuming food has always been more than just that. I love food and I love to eat food. Not only that, but I love to eat food with other people who love to eat food. Sharing an incredible meal with someone who is enjoying it as much as I am is one of my favorite things ever. There is a reason why humans gather around food to spend time together. It is just so fun.
4. Sex
Does this even need an explanation?
5. Bronwen
It must be a genetic imperative that your child is one of your favorite things. I was sitting across from Bronwen at dinner the other night and I realized that I was not eating at all but watching her; most of the time I can’t help but stare. She is a little human that came from my belly and she is just so damned amazing. Plus, she calls me “Mommy.”
6. Music
So very general, but music is one of my favorite things. I love to listen to it, I love to make it. (Insert list of favorite albums here. To be completed at another time)
7. Alcoholic beverages
I love to drink. I wish I didn’t, but I do. And it is not about getting drunk, I just love alcoholic beverages. Wine is top of the list these days, but I love trying different beers. I also like to brew beer. And mixed drinks are cool too. Scotch, whiskey, rum, vodka, I am a fan. Jello shots…not so much.
8. Crafts
Another very general category as crocheting, sewing, painting, drawing, decorating, gardening all fits under this heading for me; anything that I am creating with my hands. These things keep me sane and fulfill me deeply.
9. Cooking
This category is a combination of #3 and #8. I love food, I love to create. Therefore I love to cook.
10. My Relationships
What I meant to write is that I love people. But I really love the people I love. And those relationships that I have are one of my favorite things.

6 comments:

Alice C. Linsley said...

You are a woman who enjoys life. God bless you!

kymmie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kymmie said...

i'm curious to know what order you would put them in, if you had to rank them from absolute favorite to favorite.

Bronwen said...

I was afraid someone would ask me to rank them and I don't think that I can. I think at certain times, certain items switch ranks, depending on what is happening in my life. Like doing crafts ia kinda low right now, but last month, it was absolutely number one.

Kim O said...

Judging from your list, we are nearly the same person. Except I loathe NPR. And read celebrity gossip magazines instead of science articles. And have no children.

Upon reflection, I guess I'm a more shallow version of you.

miss krissy said...

I don't think you should have to rank them. It depends on the day! After reading your list I want to create my own, but I also want to come over, cook, see Bronwen, sing songs and have a glass of wine!! I miss you.
K x