Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lost!

I have lost the stone in my engagement ring just now. It was actually kind of funny how it happened. I was trying to clean it with a tissue and it popped right out and went into my bra. I fished it out and then it slipped from my fingers and fell under my desk. At that point I wasn’t really stressed out. I mean, it is pretty easy to get the stone back into the fitting and I would be able to clean it even better with the stone out.

I crouched down to peer under the desk and I didn’t see anything. I started to feel around for the stone. It is so little and the carpet is so disgusting. I found a half eaten peanut M&M and some old popcorn kernels. I also found a blueberry that I must have dropped this morning, and a small box of random office stuff.

So now I am feeling a little stressed. Actually, I kind of want to cry. I am going to grab my lamp and plug it in under the desk and give it another look. Hopefully, whether I find it or not, this icky panicked feeling in my gut will go away.

5 comments:

qemuel said...

Dear god, I hope you found it before the cleanup crews came in (assuming there is a cleanup crew).

:(

Mr. Cavin said...

Doesn't sound like there's a cleanup crew. Although, I suppose one M&M and some popcorn can appear all in one day.

My favorite part of this story is that you paused in the middle of it to blog it all down--and now I'm on the edge of my seat. Certainly you know how it ends already, right? Right?

Bronwen said...

I was going to write a follow-up blog entry, but there really isn't much to tell. I found the damn thing, but only after much stress and rearranging of lamps to shine under the desk. It was way in the corner hidden in and amongst the M&M wreckage.

Apparently the cleanup crew doesn't vacuum.

I know it is funny that I stopped in the middle of the search to write it down, but I was starting to get a little hysterical and was, frankly, surprised by that. I try to think of myself as a person who is not particularly attached to things, but I guess one’s engagement ring is surrounded by sentimentality and meaning.

Doesn’t matter; I found it and now it is in a sealed envelope labeled TOPAZ in the safe at home. But here is some advice. Don’t try to clean your ring with a straightened out paperclip wrapped in a tissue by shoving the paperclip up underneath the stone. In retrospect, I can see why that might pop the stone right out of its setting. Ha!

englishdan said...

That is a relief! For a moment, I thought I was going to have to cough up 99c for another box of crackerjacks...

qemuel said...

HA!
:)