Monday, August 18, 2008

Prison Motel

I think I am spoiled; spoiled in the sense that I like new, clean and modern hotels; spoiled in the sense that I expect a certain level of comfort, cleanliness and service when I stay in a hotel; so spoiled, in fact, that I have become a hotel snob. I can’t help it! I travel for work and when you travel for a larger corporation, you get to stay in nice hotels; hotels that might even have a concierge, a gym and a pool. Sometimes, I even get to stay in a place with a bar and restaurant, a home away from home, where someone else makes my bed everyday and replaces the towels and cleans up my mess.

Here is the problem with becoming a hotel snob. It means that Motels are officially on the “Will Not Stay Here” list. Motels (with a capital M) do not meet the standards to which I have become accustomed, which might be sad, except for the fact that Motels are usually pretty icky.

Two weekends ago, Dan, Bronwen and I made the 11 hour trek to Kerhonkson, NY for my friend Shannon’s nuptials. On her wedding website there was a list of local Motels, along with more expensive bed and breakfasts, spas, and resorts from which to choose. Wanting to keep the costs low, and knowing that it would only be for one night, I opted for the cheapest and easiest Motel, the Colonial Motel.

The there are only two things good about the Colonial Motel. One, it is cheap, and two, it is only half a mile from where the wedding was taking place. Let me describe the place. Clustered around a black top parking lot is four small poorly maintained buildings. There is a small house, labeled “Office” at the entrance to the parking lot where I checked in, got the key and was sent across the parking lot, up the rickety stairs to the second floor. There couldn’t have been more than 20 rooms in the whole place. Our room was #86.

I was skeptical before I ever even muscled open the door and peer through the gloom into the filthy room. Flies buzzed around the place like the buildings themselves were starting to rot in the hot sun.

I walked slowly in the room, and stood waiting for my eyes to adjust. In the dim light the room began to take shape. The filthy rug, stained black in places was not to be trusted, and I made a mental note to make sure that Bronwen kept her shoes on at all times. A peek into the bathroom revealed a clean but old toilet, sink and shower. The closets were huge, without doors, with burn holes in the floors, no hangers and coated on the inside with peeling paint/paper/paneling. The windows were not secure, the bedspreads were gross, the paint was peeled in some places scraped in others, the TV was hilariously small (we had HBO) and propped precariously on a stand in the corner, and some of the bare bulb lights didn’t work. Bronwen explored the drawer in the bedside table and found a huge stack of used scratch and win lottery tickets, an old package of wafer cookies and a joint stashed in the bible. Need I say more?

The next day, after attempting to shower under the trickle of cold water coming from the thoroughly limed-clogged shower head, we met up with the owners of the horse farm where the wedding was going to take place later in the afternoon. Cody asked us where we were staying and laughed when we replied the Colonial Motel.

“Oh, you’re staying at the prison the motel,” she informed us. “That’s where everyone stays when they come to visit their relatives in the prison down the road. They take the “prison bus” from Port Authority and end up there.”

Truthfully, the fact that it was called the prison motel almost made the whole experience a little better; at least we a got a good story out of it. And we got to watch cable TV.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - at least you didn't have a hair towel.

I too suffer the hotel snob disease.

englishdan said...

also, it was still considerably cleaner than any of my old apartments.

Mr. Cavin said...

Sweeet. Sunshine and I used to say (after one particularly bad Motor Lodge in Lexington, with animal scratches on the inside of the door, etc.), that there were just some places that were not okay to stay in unless one was alone and attempting to impress everyone through the demonstration of high bleakness tolerance.

I stayed in a Mexican place for two bucks a night one time. There was a drain in the middle of the bedroom because that's where the water collected from the shower stall (that's also where the toilet was). I had wooden curtains. I had to clear out a wasp's nest. Impressed? I don't stay in those places anymore, either.

We have become way worse than hotel snobs, Sunshine and I. We're not trying to impress anyone anymore. We've become some kind of effete hotel fetishists, reveling in private dining lounges, high teas, and real artwork on the walls. One of the last places we stayed dropped off bath salts with the turndown service and daily sundries included porcelain bottles of insect repellent.

Not that I mean to sound as if I'm bragging. It's the same as you: what the per diem gets you--only over here instead of back there. US hotels are unbelievably expensive, especially considering the snotty (if that) and antiseptic service they provide. I imagine that the nicest places we've stayed here in Vietnam (places where everyone knows your name the second time they talk to you, and the desk staff serves you "welcome drinks" while you check in without taking your butt from the overstuffed lounge chairs) didn't even cost four times what the prison motel did.

Still. Awesome bleakness tolerance! I'm impressed with your terrible motel story.

Bronwen said...

Okay, you're right Mr. C. The bleakness tolerance points are almost worth it too. That's kind of how I feel when I go to Walmart to shop; like I should win some award for having survived being that depressed.

I know about your luxury hotel digs. And I have been trying to get back there ever since my first experience. I remember having an unlimited expense account and staying in Australia for two weeks. The Hilton in Parramatta is amazing. A spa bathroom with a shower that has uncountable showerheads spraying at you from all directions, the breakfast spread that left me speechless and completely stuffed, and the service that rivaled anything imagined. I know what you mean. It is hard, no, impossible to go back from that.

I feel bad. I want to be a roughneck, hardcore, tough chick who can sleep in roach infested, shitholes worthy of no one. Unfotunately, I have seen how the otherside lives. Damn it!

Bronwen said...

Also, Dan is right. This place was cleaner than Ann's house.

Alice C. Linsley said...

A joint in the Bible... there's a story there, for sure! : )

englishdan said...

Mr C - we are soooo glad you guys are beyond slummin' it up, and have learned to appreciate the finer things in life.

It's good to see our tax dollars at work.

englishdan said...

and also - yes. I loved the fact that the Gideons Bible contained a (dirty, half, pre-inhaled) joint! it reminded me of the money legend.

but to be honest - I doubt that smoke was left there for the next tennant to find. I assume it was placed there conveniently/ironically - and then forgotten.

(we left it where we found it, by the way.)

Anonymous said...

Mr. Cavin - I am disturbed because coincindentally my hair towel (along with carpeting with very suspisious stains, mold, and an inoperable shower) experience was in Lexington as well...There is a lesson to be learned somewhere in that great KY town.

Kim O said...

I am SO JEALOUS of this story. My theory on the joint/scratched lotto cards is that someone was living there and died. Or maybe went back to prison.

Ellie, a few weeks ago I was telling my mom about your possum incident. We must have talked about it for half an hour. Maybe a week after that, she found out that a pregnant possum kicked in a vent that led to a crawl space under the house and now lives there with its evil spawn! Evidently she has hired some kind of trapper who lives deep in the mountains. I'll bet he eats them.

And finally, I would like to use this space to HOLLA at Aimee Caron and her hair towel, whatever that may be.

Anonymous said...

The "hair towel" is a towel that was supposedly "clean" in my hotel room, but in reality was infested with someone else's body hair (not hair from the head!) with which I happened to dry my face with at 4:30 AM in Lexington. To this day I get shivers thinking about it...I sure there are many more disgusting things in the world besides hair towels, but my god the humanity of it all.

Anonymous said...

Wow that seems a bit scary a filthy rug, cold shower water gosh that is not cool. I work for The Hampton Inn and you would no way have an issue like that if you stayed with us. I'm sure you've been since you travel for business but come back, lol. We've got a great promotion too.

Hampton Inn is offering 10% of their best rate available until 9/1/08 we’re also giving away some great prizes leading up to the TEAM USA competing at the Olympic Games. Good Luck!!

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/promotions/hx_summerpromo08/index.jhtml;jsessionid=SXEZ4FIZDCG4OCSGBJF2VCQ?it=specials,dreams&cid=om,hx,dreams,specials

Sarah B

P.S.

Check out this funny video, called "Ballad of a Traveler", it is hilarious. He totally sums up the travelers experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2tgnUsj8NE>