Monday, September 22, 2008

What? Huh?

I was just in an elevator with the man that delivers sodas to the office. Here is the conversation that took place as the doors closed and the elevator started up.

“That’s a lot of soda,” I said, pointing out the obvious and displaying my amazing ability to make the most ridiculous small talk with anyone I meet.

“Yup,” he said. “I already done the fourth floor. I got to it before they did.”

“Oh, yeah?” I replied because I couldn’t think of anything else to say.

“I try to get here early, but there is only so early I can go. But it hadn’t even been touched when I got here. So now they won’t have to do it themselves” he explained.

“Okay,” I said.

At this point the door opened to the fourth floor and I stepped out.

“Thanks,” I said, although I have no idea why I should have thanked him.

I have no idea what he was talking about. What is “it” and who normally touches it? Why is he taking care of “it” instead of “they”; and who is “they”?
Hopefully he didn’t figure out that I was confused.

3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

You should have told him his church buddies look at your boobs. That usually breaks the ice. It's what I always say to people I can't really understand in the elevators anymore. Which is, like, everybody incidentally.

PS, I really like Dan's glasses.

Bronwen said...

Speaking of elevators and boobs, I was standing in front of said elevator last Friday and in walks a VP and his friend in another department. His friend says to me "Hey Ellie, I saw your bumper sticker today. What does "Save the Ta-tas" mean?

"It’s all about breast cancer awareness," I replied.

"Oh!" he smiled, his eyes lit up, "Those kind of ta-tas!"

The VP standing close was studying his blackberry, conspicuously ignoring us.

"Yeah," I smiled nervously.

Despite everyone's obvious discomfort he continued.

"I thought it was something like "Save the Turtles". You know, taaa taaa," he drew out the ahhs, I guess, to sound more like the word turtle.

"Uh, no. Not turtles" I said.

"Ta-tas," he tried it out again, “huh.”

I would swear he was messing with us, but I actually think he found the whole ta-ta thing interesting and was trying to work it out in his head.

Mr. Cavin said...

Holy crap. I think I'd start taking the stairs. This elevator thing is just too surreal.