Thursday, November 6, 2008

Cheeky Bronwen

There is a book that I love to read to Bronwen called Peek-a-boo Farm. Each page asks,

“Peek-a-boo, who are you?”

“Oink, Oink!”

Then you lift a flap on the page and it reveals the animal saying something like,

“You’re a messy pig!”

Since it from our English family, I always read it out loud in a silly, and horrible, English accent. The last page is the best. It says,

“Peek-a-boo, who are you?” and when you lift the flap there is a mirror and it reads,

“You’re a cheeky baby!”

I love to say that last line in a high-pitched, crazy lady English accent. I find it hilarious. Dan thinks I am insane.

The American Heritage Dictionary has the following definition for cheeky: Adj. Impertinently bold; imprudent and saucy. Bronwen fits the description perfectly; and when she is naughty and pulls that little cheeky grin, I just can’t help but laugh.

This morning I told her to put on her shoes and socks and she sat down on the living room couch to start the process. I walked back to the bathroom to finish getting ready for work. I peaked out once to see how she was doing; she had one sock on one foot, with a shoe soon to follow.

“Are you getting those shoes and socks on Bronwen?” I asked her, returning to the bathroom.

“Yeah,” she replied.

I was in a hurry so I left Bronwen to finish getting ready and made my lunch, got my phone, grabbed her jacket and went back to the front room expecting her to be finished. I turned the corner to find Bronwen completely barefoot.

“Bronwen!” I said exasperated. It was then that I noticed the cheeky grin. Then she lifted her arms into the air and on each hand was a sock and shoe, the MaryJanes perfectly buttoned up and ready to go. I couldn’t stop laughing, even as I pulled the socks and shoes off her hands and quickly got them onto her feet.

“You are a cheeky baby!” I told her as we hurried out the front door.

“Cheeky,” she replied.

2 comments:

englishdan said...

She did put them on - her hands! Classic.

What's the American Heritage Dictionary definition of goofball?

Alice C. Linsley said...

Cheeky babies just have to go to Grandma's house asap!

Happy (almost) Birthday, Ellie!