Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dreaming of Tsunamis

Last night I dreamt of tsunamis. I dreamt that I was on a small island with a group of people that I didn’t know. It was dark and stormy and the ocean waves were crashing dangerously on the rocky shore. There were kids playing near the water and I kept trying to get them to move back from the sea into the jungle. I was screaming, but no one could hear me over the waves. Suddenly the sun began to rise and the water became curiously calm and oozed away from the land. Out and out it went. Some sort of collective consciousness made us all realize that this strange wave behavior meant tsunami and we all started running across the island away from the water.

We jumped onto a wooden boat that reminded me of a mini Noah’s Arc and as the wave came back in we floated safety further inland. As the waves retreated, we all knew there would be more, so we jumped into a field which was lower than the rocks in front of it. As we lay on our bellies in the grass, we could see the waves surging back towards us. As the waves crashed into the rocks in front of us, they dissipated into a fine mist that rained down over us, cooling us from the tropical sun.

6 comments:

Kim O said...

I am impressed by your dream-recall ability. The only dreams I ever remember are the recurring ones, and even those are pretty hazy: the one when I'm spitting out teeth (the worst!) or the one where I'm flying.

Lauren said...

I want whatever you're taking before bedtime.

Mr. Cavin said...

I want whatever you're taking before bedtime.

Yes, I too would like to ensure that I get to share the terrifying experience of running for my life all night long.

Ugh. Periodic longitudinal sinusoid perturbations indeed.

qemuel said...

Useless trivia I learned in my Religion, Dreams, and the Dreaming class: dreams about losing teeth are among the most common in the entire world, regardless of culture.

englishdan said...

Pet peeve:

Arc vs. Ark

Grrr. Now write that out 100 times!

Alice C. Linsley said...

Ellie, You come from a long line of dreamers. I hope that you are keeping a dream journal.

I have about 8 years of dream journals now and as I look back over them I see recurring themes: my personal issues seeking resolution in my unconscious.

Something big is coming, my darling. It is wise to take note of numinous dreams, but not to be afraid. May you and your loved ones be safe and showered only with light and blessings.