Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bronwen the Bully?

Yesterday Bronwen told me,

“I bite L on the arm. I hit L in the face.”

Needless to say, I was a little concerned. So, I spoke with her at length about the importance of kindness and tolerance (“not that you want to be a push over,” I was sure to mention) and the importance of keeping your hands, and your teeth, to yourself. She seemed to understand me, she cried a little, and then we sat down to watch a movie.

Today, when I dropped her off at daycare I asked her teacher about these supposed behaviors. S looked positively surprised.

“No! I have never seen her do those things. She is very good with the other kids. I mean, sometimes she will push back, but that is normal.”

Well, at least we don’t have to worry about her being a pushover, I thought to myself.

“Okay, well I was just checking. She said something about biting and hitting, and I wanted to make sure that she isn’t beating up on the other kids.”

“Absolutely not!” S said looking appalled and a little offended.

So now, here is the new problem that I am having. Either Bronwen is lying about biting and hitting, making her a little sociopath, or she is a bully. Either options is a little upsetting. I think I will pick the third option, she is probably just fighting back. I mean, just check out that bump on her head. These kids can be brutal!

1 comment:

Alice C. Linsley said...

My poor baby! She's smaller than most of the other kids so they think they can bully her.

Are you sure she is in the right day care?