Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Years Traditions

Up to a million people go to watch the ball drop in New York City every new years eve. This year will be no different, with the unveiling of the new Waterford Crystal ball making its debut drop. But people in other parts of the country will be having just as much fun dropping other things from great heights to count down the seconds until the New Year. This year I am wishing that I could get to Clays Corner in Brasstown, NC to watch the annual Possum drop on the Possumtron big screen. Based on the pictures on the website, it is a wild, non-alcoholic celebration, where men dress up in drag and dance around, and prepare themselves for the 'Little Miss Brasstown' Pageant.

Here is one of my favorite testimonials from the webpage:

Was sure glad to hear that the '05 possum was LIVE. As anyone who has ever kicked a dead cow on a late night coon hunt and seen three possums roll out of it knows, possums are just naturally curious. I am sure the ride in a limo and then the trip up and down for the drop made this possum's day! Steve White Killduff, IA USA

Sometimes I wish I had grown up some place like that. Good ole country folk who think dropping possums is hilarious. I totally agree.

2 comments:

englishdan said...

Sounds like a blast! Maybe you should try starting the possum-dropping tradition at Cafe Europa this year.

You could even supply your own possum!

Kim O said...

This is so awesome I can hardly stand it.