Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Foul Weather

I think I turned into an old grouchy grandpa this morning when Piper’s school was cancelled for the tiniest little bit of ice, which subsequently melted by 9am.

“When I was a kid, we had to shovel our way out to the school bus, the snow would be over our heads. We never got a day off of school, no sir,” I lectured her as I was dressing for work.

“We would be half dead before we got to the bus. And I am pretty sure those buses has chains on the tires. And there was no heat in the bus; we would huddle together for warmth. But did we complain? No. You kids these days don’t have to deal with any hardship. Everything is done for you. How are you ever going to learn to survive in the cold, if you never have to go out into it?”

Fortunately Piper ignored my huffing and puffing and stomping around the house. But seriously, when did I turn into my own grandpa?

1 comment:

englishdan said...

I thought your grouchiness was entirely justified. Especially when your husband was calling in to work:

"I'm sooo sorry but even though it's just a *tiny* bit of snow, my daughter's school is cancelled and I can't possibly come in this morning. It's stupid, I know, but I'm just going to have to stay here and keep warm under the covers for another 2 hours..."

Come to think of it - maybe I should petition the schools to close on medium-sunny days. You know, that cloud cover can be a bitch.