Monday, April 27, 2009

Shoeless Shiitake

Kickball started out on the wrong foot this evening. As I stepped out of my car to walk down to the field, I realized that the reason I felt so comfortable was that I was wearing my flip flops. With only ten minutes to the start of the game, and no one to fill in for me, (we'd have to forfeit if I couldn’t play) I whipped out my cell phone and rang Dan with an urgency of one trying to make the deadline on tax day at the post office.

“Dan, get my sneakers, socks, no it doesn’t matter what kind, and get over here as fast as you can!”

I waited in the parking lot, counting down the seconds. As I saw my coach climbing the stairs to look for me, Dan finally did a drive by and tossed my socks and sneakers out the sunroof. I grabbed and ran.

It wasn’t until I was standing in the dugout flinging my flip flops, keys, cell phone, and water bottle on the ground and scrambling to get my damn shoes and socks on that I realized that the both teams were on the field watching and waiting for me so we could start the game.

Fortunately, thing improved from there. I got on based every kick, and despite a number of errors on our part we came away with a 9-3 win over the Fighting Christians.

Go Shittake Kickers!

No comments: