Monday, April 27, 2009

Urban Farming

I spent the day yesterday planting and I am exceedingly impressed with the results. Here is what I planted: tomatoes (5 different types), peppers (5 different types), eggplant, cucumber, watermelon, peas, string beans, carrots, zucchini, herbs (mint, cilantro, basil, dill, parsley). I also planted peonies, coreopsis, and other flowers. I am very pleased with my little urban farm. Next comes the goat!

As I was huffing and puffing away I imagined the day when I would cook up an omelet with peppers, tomatoes, and herbs, and slices of fresh watermelon for dessert. It is immensely satisfying to be able to produce you own food and I can’t wait to start reaping the benefits.

2 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

You should also grow rosemary. Not only is is easy as hell, but it never, ever dies. Put it in another corner from the garden though, it will take over otherwise. Rosemary wants some water and tough, bitter terrain. Like a pine tree!

If you neglect it right, you'll have more than you know what to do with before long, and you will begin to give it away to all your friends. But I also read recently that you can make beer with rosemary (substituted for the hops), and that it turns out really well. It is also really good in those omelets.

You had to be kidding about the goat.

Alice C. Linsley said...

Ellie, you should live in the country! I hope the garden grows well.