Thursday, February 15, 2007

Florida

Ahhh, Florida. Here again. For some reason, despite my best efforts, I continue to end up in Florida. Destin is an interesting part of Florida. I haven't visited any places that were hit hard by the recent hurricanes until now. It really is amazing the extent of the damage. And there has been a lot of reconstruction here.
I haven't had any time to hit the beaches and it has been 40 degrees everyday anyway. But the beaches here in Destin are amazing. White sugar sand stretches straight from the highway to the water. And the gulf water is clear blue and green. Amazing. Beautiful.
Tonight a co-worker and I searched for a local hangout to eat and drink a few beers. We found a place on the beach called A Whales Tail. We ate fried shrimp, steamed crab legs, fried oysters, boiled shrimp, fish, corn on the cob, new potatoes, rice and veggies. Add a few cold beers on tap and I was in heaven. We sat in the warm room, overlooking the picnic benches that must be full of locals when it is warm, and out to the ocean. I understand why people want to live near the ocean. There is something stirring, inviting, comforting, terrifying and just plain big about sitting on the beach at the edge of it. I love it.
However, only 2.5 more days and I get to go home and that is the place I really want to be. I miss my family! See you guys soon!

1 comment:

Alice C. Linsley said...

Your family misses you too, kiddo. Call Joshua asap. He leaves Lexington on Tuesday morning.

The dinner sounds delicious! As does being near the beach. We're having a snow storm here in KY.

I posted two new pieces at Drell's last week. One on Archbishop Peter Akinola and the other on Entering the Orthodox Church. Tomorrow is the ceremony, the beginning of a new stage of my life.