Monday, June 25, 2007

Dresses, and Jewlery, and Shoes, Oh my!

I never thought that buying a wedding dress would be emotionally scarring. It is supposed to be such an exciting and wonderful day. However, I made the mistake, and how was I to know, of starting my search at a bridal boutique called Divas (located on Lawndale across the street from the Target). I made an appointment on Friday afternoon for a Saturday fitting at 10:30am. I was extremely nervous and my friend Aimee came along to offer moral support and to take pictures of the gowns I liked. Thank god she was there. It started out poorly. We walked in and I announced I had an appointment. The lady looked annoyed to have to help anyone. She pointed us to a wall of dresses and told us to pick a few out to try. She asked me about my budget and when I responded she walked away. She came back a minute later and said

“Um, I don’t think you are going to be able to find anything in that range here.”

I was a little annoyed by her tone, but was determined to have a nice day.

“Well, I am here, can I at least try a few things on and maybe I will find something I want to splurge on.”

“That’s fine,” she said. And carried a few dresses into the dressing room for me to try on. The dresses were heinous. She hadn’t really looked at me or talked to me to figure out what I liked and the few she picked out were awful. But I tried them on anyway because all of the bridal magazines say you will be surprised when you find your dress. It may not have been what you were looking for. They were still heinous. Aimee had to help me get in and out of them, as the weight and tricky buttons, zips, straps, etc were bewildering.

Finally, I picked out a dress that was just beautiful. I looked at the tag and it was $2899.00. At this point I was starting to feel a little depressed. What if I never find another dress that I like as well? How was I to pay for this? What if I ran out of time? It didn’t help that the ladies at the shop were pressuring me and making me feel bad.

“Oh, you really waited until the last minute. You will have to pay a rush fee to get the dress here on time.”

“Is there anyone you can call to get the extra money to pay for it?”

“You know if you just serve hotdogs at your reception you might be able to use the extra money to buy this dress.”

“You want to look beautiful at your wedding. It really is all about the dress.”

I left there feeling anxious, fat, poor and thoroughly bummed. So Aimee and I went to Target and shopped and I felt better, but when she suggested going to try more dresses on I was against it. I just didn’t want to be treated that way again.

We got back to my house a few hours later and I decided to make an appointment at David’s Bridal for the next day. I had been in there before and had not been impressed. But at this point I was starting to get nervous about “running out of time!”

The next morning my friend Chris joined me with the camera ready and we headed to David's Bridal. We were greeted by a friendly lady who took my information. Then Latora, my personal wedding dress helper met me and we began to pick out dresses. I picked out three and she picked out one. She carried the four gowns (about 30 pounds worth of fabric) to the dressing room and I knew instantly that this was going to be a different experience. She told me to pick out some shoes off the back wall, and she picked out a bustier and a slip and helped me into them all. Then she helped me put on each dress. She said,

“Put your arms up into the air. Now dive into the dress. You have to dive into these things.”

So I literally dived forward into the dress, arms together like an Olympic diver, as she threw the layer of fabric back over my body. It was actually really fun, and diving really is the best way to get into those things.

We tried on dresses, and veils, and jewelry and chatted about our soon to be foreign in-laws (she is marrying a man from Liberia in July) and tattoos, and other fun stuff. Chris took pictures and was wonderful in her honest critique of each dress. It was the second dress, and the one Latora had picked out incidentally, that was the dress I picked in the end. It is so beautiful and I love it.

13 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

...the one Latora had picked out...

This is a great story, and she did a wonderful job. As did Chris: you looked resplendent in the photo I saw. I'm looking forward to October.

JRap said...

Yea for you and Latora!! See, I told you I had all confidence in you! The pictures were soo beautiful.
Sorry those hags at the other shop gave you such a hard time! PUH-LEASE. I also went to David's for my dress and had a great experience and was able to get a wonderful dress without spending as much as say, one might use for a down payment on a house.

Anonymous said...

I am still really angry about the experience you had at Divas. There is no excuse for terrible customer service, especially when you're talking about something so important to someone as a wedding. Well, now you have your funny wedding story and life can go on as normal. In the meantime, I will do my best to spread the word that they are jerks.

Bronwen said...

Thanks Sunshine. After that day I decided to make it my life's mission to run them out of business.

qemuel said...

I will do my part in running them out of business by never getting married!

YEAH!

In a related note: I never got to see said pictures, sniff, sniff...

Alice C. Linsley said...

I love the bridal gown, Ellie. Perfect cut and color. The contrasting lace with beading is beautiful and I love the way it matches the piping on the veil.

I'm glad that Latora had an eye for what you might like.

I am excited and can't wait until October!

Anonymous said...

Hey, someone should call The Sound of the Beep. It's the perfect opportunity and some Rhino power might actually get the word out. If no one else will do this, I will, so let me know. I'm also going to post a bulletin on myspace.

reasonistheremedy said...

That is some shit, Ellie. I can't believe someone at that store said all that to you. If I was a hitman....

I digress. Glad you got a dress.

-Hannah

Anonymous said...

yeah, i know, that place is like a taffeta shack for cracked out faux riche people!

(i had to try on 4 really hideous b-maids dresses there when my sister got married. they ack like they the shit, when they're really just SHIT)

your story is on myspace- we can add it to HYPEPIPE (my blog) congrats and HOLLA

Jade Rocks said...

You know it really galls me the way people in these hoity toity 'boutiques' in Greensboro act! They take one look at you and assume you don't live in Irving Park so you are useless to them. This was "Pretty Woman" all over again. Someone should teach those people a lesson!

Bronwen said...

Erica!

I wish someone had told me about this before I went there!

I say we run them out of town.

Alice C. Linsley said...

With their business practices and customer (non)service, they'll run themselves out of town.

But, hey! you found the gown. You're going to knock Dan's socks off when he sees his beautiful bride!

Hopie said...

Ellie,

I missed the picture! I can hardly wait to see you in this dress...although I think that you would be beautiful in a bag...I am prejudiced...What is the date of the wedding? I need to work around it when I register for classes...

Love always, Aunt Hope