Thursday, March 6, 2008

Okay Mr Cavin, Here's Your Update

So I went to the oral surgeon on Monday. He was strikingly handsome, but in a Norman Rockwell kind of way. He had a 1950s style of hair cut, cut long on the top and brushed back. And he had a very nice face.

I has fallen asleep in the chair as he had kept me waiting 30 minutes, and when I woke up there he was standing in the afternoon sunlight.

He examined the growth and concluded a number of things:
1. It is probably viral, sort of like a wart. I told him that I had recently had a wart on my finger and I had chewed on it (I didn't know warts spread!) and he said that it could have got there that way.
2. It is too small to create any blockage that might contribute to my sleep apnea. Damn!
3. Since I have sleep apnea the surgery to remove it is going to be a little more intense, meaning, full anesthesia, a tube down my throat to help me breath and all that. Yuck.
4. I should have it removed as it could cause problems later on.

I am going to meet with a new sleep doctor at the end of march. We are going to discuss surgery options then, and if we decided to have surgery, we will remove the wart at the same time. If not, I will have to go in sometime this spring and have it removed.

So there is the update. And the moral of the story is don't chew on your warts or they might spread to you uvula.

3 comments:

Alice C. Linsley said...

And a good and useful moral it is!

Mr. Cavin said...

Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks for the update!

Lauren said...

I'm so going to keep that piece of advice handy. Sounds like something RoBards would enjoy.