Thursday, April 3, 2008

Toothiness

Last night I dreamt that three of my teeth on the left side of my mouth fell out into my hand. I woke up this morning with my hand to my mouth, convinced the horrifying event had actually happened. It was such a realistic dream; I kept expecting my teeth to continue falling out while I brushed this morning, while I ate my oatmeal and while I have been sitting here at my desk. I have read that dreaming about teeth falling out reflects a deep self consciousness, or a fear of not being attractive.

Perhaps this is true. I have been struggling with my weight, and I recognize that I am aging. But I think the real reason I dreamt about teeth falling out is that Aimee had a tooth fall out recently. When she came to visit the other day she pulled the fake tooth (attached to a retainer) out to show me. It was so strange, and cool! And you can barely tell it isn’t a real tooth.

Aimee was very concerned about this tooth falling out, who wouldn’t be, so she went to the dentist to find out more about getting a replacement tooth. The dentist took x-rays and what they found was amazing. The tooth that had fallen out was a baby tooth! The adult tooth was just starting to push in from above, but it is sideways. Now she might have to get braces to force the teeth around to make room for the sideways tooth to straighten out and come in. I told her that she is freak. She has shark teeth and they just keep coming in. At least she won’t have to wear the funny retainer with fake tooth attached forever.

4 comments:

Alice C. Linsley said...

Consider what teeth are for. They are for chewing, in aid of digestion. There are many things to digest in our lives: thoughts, apparent truths, new developments. Maybe this dream is telling you that you are losing some of your ability to digest things. Just something to think about, reflect on... digest.

Alice C. Linsley said...

There's something there about 3 teeth. Aimee lost one and so did the dog, and then you would make three. Its a interesting dream, Ellie!

Lauren said...

Hey, easy on the people with fake teeth on retainers! I had one when I was a kid because I had knocked out my tooth when I fell in the bathtub. I think I had that retainer for like 3 years before the new one grew in.

Kim O said...

I have nightmares about losing my teeth all the time. They take different forms, but the one I have most often is where I spit out shards of teeth until nothing is left. I often wonder if it actually means something, or if I'm just worried about losing my teeth. Either way, not cool.